Whatever your reason, you can’t afford to be sidelined by a nasty cold or flu. Breastfeeding moms can't take a sick day. You’ve probably scoured the internet looking for reports on the safety of certain drugs like Nyquil while breastfeeding.
Before you reach for the Nyquil, I want to share my own go-to method for stopping cold and flu in its tracks without the nasty chemicals.
Why You shouldn’t use Nyquil while breastfeeding
Nyquil presents itself as an over-the-counter solution for the worst cold and flu symptoms: fever, headache, sore throat, aches and pains. With three children and one still breastfeeding, I can understand why that sounds like the easiest solution.
The bright, jewel-colored bottle of liquid or capsules looks so convenient and you just want a solution for a problem you don’t have time to have. I get it!
But here’s the kicker:
Did you know that Nyquil also contains ingredients that carry potential risks for you as a breastfeeding mom and your baby ? Doxylamine succinate and phenylephrine HCI are both used to treat your nasal and sinus symptoms during an illness.
There are no studies on the safety of these drugs while breastfeeding and you pass on unknown risks to your baby every time you throw back that tiny cup or capsule of colorful liquid medicine.
Also, did you know that Nyquil contains 10 percent alcohol? That’s right. For that reason, pediatricians discourage giving the medicine to children under the age of four.
- Also, did you know that Nyquil contains 10 percent alcohol? That’s right. For that reason, pediatricians discourage giving the medicine to children under the age of four.
Nyquil and other over-the-counter solutions also carry some pretty heavy side-effects such as drowsiness in some users and excitability in others.
That just means that if you take this drug for your symptoms, you could be sleeping when you shouldn’t be or awake when you desperately need to sleep.
You may be feeling hopeless at this point, but please don’t! You found this post and that’s a good first step to a healthy solution for your cold and flu symptoms that don’t sabotage your healthy breastfeeding choice.
So you may be asking:
Are There Any Drug-Free Options I Can Take To Relieve My Symptoms?
Of course! Long before the pharmaceutical industry started branding products for the relief of everyday illnesses, moms were cooking up remedies in their homes for everything from cold and flu to headaches and upset stomachs.
My own solution, MARATHON FLU FORMULA, which I’ll share with you in this topic, is simple enough that you probably already have the ingredients in your pantry.
I have always relied on household ingredients with tried and true results during illness such as lemon, honey, and ginger. There are studies to show just how safe and effective at-home solutions can be for common, everyday illnesses.
Can you recommend a product that will relieve my symptoms that does not contain alcohol?
Again, of course! Alcohol consumption is a big issue when you are breastfeeding. Everything we nursing moms consume is passed on to our baby during a feeding.
When I first started looking for a method to get rid of the flu quickly without medical treatment, one of the first things I determined was that it had to be alcohol-free.
Alcohol is not a solution for your cold and flu symptoms. The reason the producers of Nyquil and other products like it include alcohol in the ingredients in because it helps your body absorb the other chemical components.
Natural solutions do not have to include alcohol which can be easily passed through your breastmilk to your baby. That’s why my MARATHON FLU FORMULA keeps alcohol out and only the good things from my kitchen in which you’ll see in a minute.
How do you get rid of cold and flu symptoms without over-the-counter medication?
It’s simple! My method for fighting cold and flu, has been a life-saver on so many occasions.
Here’s a recent example of my own experience with the solution:
Not too long ago, I was feeling those sudden onset symptoms that are indicative of the flu. Classic symptoms started to present themselves: fever, chills, body aches, stuffy nose, and sinus pressure.
Even my sweet baby could tell something was not right with mommy and became restless. I knew I had to act fast to get my sickness under control.
If I had chosen to medicate myself with an over-the-counter product like Nyquil while breastfeeding, my sweet baby would have been exposed to risks of the chemical ingredients, or forego the valuable benefits of breastfeeding with formula during my sickness.
Thankfully, I chose to stick with my two-step process and adhere to the regimen that worked best for me. Within just one day, my symptoms were already manageable and by day three, I was my old self again.
I never had to worry about lost milk production or passing on unnecessary risks to my baby. My baby was happy and so was I.If only every parenting decision could be as simple as this.
So what is MARATHON FLU FORMULA? I’m glad you asked!
"The Marathon Flu Formular"
Two Step Help You Fight Off Cold and Flu Without the Nasty Ingredients of Nyquil while Breastfeeding
- First, find your cutest coffee or tea mug. You know which one I’m talking about – the one that makes you happy when you sip tea. I prefer a mug with no handle so that the warmth of this solution transfers to my hands. There is nothing more soothing than a warm mug when your body is achy and tired!
- Second, pour half a cup of warm apple juice to your mug. That’s right! The apple juice you keep around the house for your kids is a key ingredient. How warm should it be? That’s up to you! When my throat was sore, it felt so good for the warm liquid to coat my throat.
- Next, combine your warm apple juice with two tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar. The warm apple juice cuts the bitter twang of the apple cider vinegar. If you don’t have organic apple cider vinegar in the house, you can use non-organic but organic works so much better for this solution!
I like to mix up this solution about twice every day when I’m not feeling well. Mealtimes are great for mixing up this solution because you are already in the kitchen. I find that it’s easy to mix this solution while I’m prepping breakfast or lunch for family.
- Hint: You can also breathe deeply over your steaming cup of apple juice and apple cider vinegar to receive even more benefits. Studies have shown that breathing in warm steam (not hot) can help lubricate the mucous membranes in your sinus. This extra step will bring comfort and healing to your painful sinus pressure.) There’s more but that’s it for step one!
- Mix equal parts fresh ginger and garlic into water in a sauce pan. Boil the solution for 10 minutes at a low boil. Don’t overcook the solution.
- When you notice the water is starting to bubble, adjust the stove to keep it at the low boil. I just love the smell of fresh ginger and it has so many healing properties that we keep it in the house all the time. I stir my solution with a wooden spoon.
- Next, you’ll want to let the solution cool completely. I like to stick my little finger in after a few minutes to test the temperature. You can use a thermometer if you like but room temperature is cool enough.
This is my favorite part!
- Add lemon and honey to the solution and stir until it’s blended. Lemon and honey are great remedies for so many cold and flu symptoms. Plus, they add a sweet and sour flavor to this solution.
- Next, transfer the solution to a jar of container and let it sit overnight. You want to be sure the container is air tight so that you maintain freshness.
- This final step allows the mixture to completely infuse for the best results.You can keep the mixture in your refrigerator and drink it with warm water about three times a day.
I like to pick up a few fresh lemons from the store and squeeze the juice just before I pour it into the solution. Fresh is best! But no pressure, use what you have available to you. The bottles of pre-squeezed lemon juice will have valuable benefits as well.
It doesn’t matter what kind of honey you use. There has been research that shows local honey can help with allergies but in a pinch, just reach for that cute honey bear.
Of course, adding the honey in slowly while stirring makes it easier for the solution to blend well. You want to be sure to stir the solution well so that all of the ingredients are mixed otherwise all of the honey will settle at the bottom.
You can drink slowly to bring refreshment or throw it back quickly and get on with your day. You’ll notice instant relief from some of your worst symptoms! Trust me, I know exactly how comforting that sounds when you are struggling with a sore throat and cough.
Like Step One, you may want to mix this solution during meal preparation so that you are not taking precious time away from your baby.
Both of these solutions are very easy to make which is important to busy moms like us. We don’t like to take time for ourselves, even when we are sick, so having these simple non-medicinal solutions are a lifesaver!
Because that is what it’s really all about, right? You want to be healthy and able to give your baby the very best. You care about what goes into your body because you care what comes out of your body.
Breastfeeding moms have to be so careful but we also have to take care of ourselves when we’re sick. Both steps in this solution are critical and you must stick to the regimen every day to see real results.
All of the ingredients, delivered in this method, at theses intervals work together with your body to promote quick healing while also relieving some of your worst symptoms with a cold or flu.
Even when you are sick, breastfeeding is still the best option for you and your baby. So it’s important to do what you can to get yourself back up and running when the cold or flu threatens to drag you down.
Sure, there are over-the-counter chemical solutions like Nyquil that promise to knock out the worst symptoms, they also carry serious risk for women who are breastfeeding.
Not only are there risks, but your cold and flu medicine can also carry serious side effects such as drowsiness and foggy thinking. You and I both know as moms we can’t afford to be tired or distracted when we’re taking care of our babies!
The next time you are hit hard with cold or flu, try MARATHON FLU natural solution to replace Nyquil while breastfeeding.
It really is a one-two punch to knock out those nasty symptoms in just a few days! I promise you won’t be sorry! Here’s to a happy healthy you. Get well soon!