7 incredible Best Baby Bouncer Choices
As much as parents love to cuddle their baby was much as possible, there are times when we need our hands-free. There has to be a safe place to sit our kids down and, preferably, a place they enjoy spending a bit of time. Each child is different. Some like swings, some like nothing. Most parents purchase the best baby bouncer for their family, in hopes that their little one will remain calm for just a few minutes.
What is a Baby Bouncer?
In the simplest definition, a baby bouncer is a seat that your child can bounce, with their weight and movement. They are versatile in uses, rather inexpensive and helpful. Do you need to take a shower? Bring your newborn with the baby bouncer into the bathroom. Want to get a bite to eat? Place the bouncer beside you, so that your child can keep his eye on you at all times.
Parents can use a baby bouncer from birth up to around six months of age. The ending age will vary based on the child’s ability to sit up and weight. A majority of baby bouncers can be used up to 25 pounds or when they sit up independently. There are a few that have a maximum weight recommendation of 30lbs. There are just a few brands with higher limits.
In the beginning, your baby will enjoy the gentle (or fast) motions and stare at the toys swinging above their head. As they get older, the seat will bounce with their movement. Babies learn to kick faster for a springy motion and greatly enjoy their time.
It isn’t all fun and games in the bouncer. The gentle vibration and lullaby music can lull many babies to sleep. Instead of fun, some children see the baby bouncer as a place of calm and resting. Parents surely won’t complain about that!
What to Look for in a Baby Bouncer?
- Safety Straps
All of them have 3-point safety harnesses to prevent a fall. Some have a 5-point harness, which is, of course, safer for your baby.
- Batteries vs. Plug-In
Most of the bouncers you will find come with a battery operated motor. You can move it around without concern of finding a plug. The only downside is that you will use a ton of batteries; trust me! I wouldn’t suggest purchasing a seat that uses only a plug-in, but rather a model that has an optional plug-in. This feature allows you to use the plug to reduce battery draining when you can.
- A variety of Motions
Each baby is different, and they prefer certain movements. You can buy bouncers that vibrate, rock and glide side-to-side. Some bounce gently or fast. An ideal choice is one that offers several options of motion.
Look for bouncers that have little toy bars, mobiles and sun canopies. You can find ones that play music or sounds.
- Removable Fabric
Babies aren’t known for being clean. Diapers have blowouts; they drool and spit up their milk. In the early months, your baby will make a mess of anything that is nearby. You want a seat with a removable and washable cover. It just makes sense.
- Sturdy Frame
Even though they are low to the ground, you want a sturdy frame. If your baby leans to one side as they get older, you don’t want a bouncer that will tip. Ideally, it could fold or easily disassemble for storage and transportation.
Naturally, parents want their babies to be comfortable, no matter where they are. The seat should have padded and comfortable seats. Another nice feature is multiple reclining positions, allowing it to adjust to age. Some bouncers can convert into a toddler seat.
- Weight Limit
My children are typically over nine pounds at birth, so all of our baby products need to have higher weight limits. Take a look at the limit and decide if you think it is appropriate for your child. As mentioned above, most have a limit of 25 pounds, but there are higher options. They may come with an increased price as well.
- Safety Certification
To give you peace of mind that the bouncer is well-made, look for certifications from the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA). This certification is achieved through a voluntary process of steps that ensure it conforms to necessary safety standards.
You don’t have to look for the fanciest model on the market. There are a few that cost more, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they are better. If you are purchasing a used baby bouncer, always make sure to check for recalls!
Different Types of Baby Bouncers
There are two types of baby bouncers available in the market today. One is the basic baby bouncer and the other is the activity baby bouncer.
- Basic Baby Bouncer
- Baby Activity Bouncer
Basic baby bouncers are the ones without any toys hanging or any kind of entertainment for the baby. The basic baby bouncers are great if you want something which is lightweight, portable, easy to fold and store and easy to put in your baby in.
These bouncers bounce with the slight movement of your baby, which means that the baby bounces all the time, making them a winner all the way. The lack of any activity additional to bouncing ensures that the baby is not over stimulated.
This bouncer comes with a lot of activity and entertainment for the baby. Apart from bouncing, the baby can play with the toys hanging from the toy rails, hear to songs and musical melodies, as well as enjoy the colorful rattles hanging around the bouncer.
The drawback of these bouncers is that they are a bit more difficult to store and carry around. But if you are looking for wholesome entertainment for your baby as they enjoy their bouncing, these are the kinds you should invest in.
The Best Baby Bouncer Choices
Anything made by Fisher Price is sure to please both baby and parents. Their baby bouncer is budget-friendly and has some impressive features!
- Children can bounce themselves for entertainment. The rate of bouncing depends on how fast they move and kick!
- When you are ready to send your little one off to sleep, switch on the calming vibrations to soothe them.
- Fisher Price includes an overhead toy bar with three different, primary colored toys. As your baby ages, he will enjoy batting at them.
- The seat is comfortable with additional padding. If your child makes a mess, the fabric is removable and can be washed in a machine.
- For safety, there is an adjustable, three-point restraint.
- It is lightweight, weighing only 5 pounds.
- The recommended weight recommendation is 25lbs.
- This bouncer is battery-operated only. There is no option to plug it into the wall. You will go through a lot of D batteries.
- The weight capacity is lower and may not last very long for your baby!
- It only has one motion, which is a gentle vibration. While your child can bounce it himself, the seat doesn’t offer a variety of movements. It also doesn’t play music.
Are you looking for a baby bouncer that will last longer than just a few months? You need an infant to toddler one!
- The obvious positive to this baby bouncer is you can use it from infancy to toddlerhood. As your child ages, it converts to a comfortable seat.
- The weight commendation is 40 pounds, much higher than the standard seat.
- When converted, it gives you a perfect place for your toddler to eat or rest before heading off to play again.
- For security, they added a three-point harness. Also, a fold-out kickstand keeps the bouncer in place as your baby goes crazy kicking!
- When a mess happens, because it will, you can remove the fabric and put it into the washing machine. It is also dryer safe; some are not so sure to check!
- There are two reclining positions, ideal for a growing baby.
- To entertain your baby, there is a removable toy bar with different animals hanging down. He will love to stare at their faces and laugh.
- When it is time to lull or relax the baby, switch on the gentle vibrations.
- There is no option for a plugin, so you have to rely totally on two C batteries.
- Many parents have noted that putting it together takes some muscle. You will need a screwdriver and time, but it is do-able.
- The toy lengths are just a bit too long. When in a rocking motion, they are likely to come close to hitting the baby in the face. However, the bar is removable, preventing this from happening.
If you are willing to spend just a bit more money, you can get a baby bouncer with some excellent features!
- The seat for this baby bouncer is noticeably more comfortable. It is deep with cozy, lined seats. The fabric is a soft fleece. Fisher Price includes a plush, newborn insert and a contoured head support.
- Overhead, there is a bar that holds soft, plush animals. It is a mobile, so the animals spin in circles.
- With the push of a button, the Deluxe Bounce can play 20 minutes of gentle tunes and nature sounds. There is a convenient volume control as well.
- The pad, cover, and inserts are all machine washable and dryer safe, great for babies with reflux.
- There is a variety of gentle movements and vibrations to either excite your child or to help them unwind and fall asleep.
- Parents access the different music and vibration settings with an easy touch panel, right below the baby’s feet.
- Fisher Price added a three-point safety harness.
- The baby bouncer weighs a bit more than other brands, around 8 pounds.
- Maximum weight recommendation is only 25lbs; this is one major downside.
- It requires three C batteries and doesn’t give the option to plug it in a wall.
- The sounds will go off in about 20 minutes. The stopping of the music could disrupt your baby’s sleep if they are a light sleeper.
If you want a brightly colored, budget friendly baby bouncer, the Bright Starts Playful Pinwheels is adorable.
- There is a removable toy bar about your child’s head with colorful animals to amuse the baby.
- A few options for vibrations will keep your baby calm and comfortable.
- The pattern is gender neutral so that you can use it for all of your children.
- The fabric is removable and easy to clean.
- A three-point harness keeps your baby safe while playing in their seat!
- Parents that it is a simple bouncer. The cost is affordable. While it doesn’t come with a lot of bells and whistles, it performs its job perfectly and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.
- It is only battery powered with no choice for plugging in.
- The maximum weight capacity is only 25 pounds.
- The vibrations aren’t very powerful. Some babies like more vigorous vibrating rather than gentle.
Do you want a luxurious baby bouncer with some incredible features? The Baby Bjorn will impress you! In fact, you may wish you were the one sitting in it.
- It has an ergonomic design with a soft and snug seat, suitable for use from birth up to 2 years old. Yes, you read that right – 2 years old! Once your child can sit up on his own, it converts to a chair.
- There are no batteries needed because the baby bounces the chair with their movement only. Younger children can be bounced with a parent’s foot or hand.
- Four positions are available. There is a play mode, a rest mode, sleep mode and a transportation mode. You can adjust it quickly. When not in use, the bouncer folds totally flat for storage.
- The fabric is easy to clean and totally removable. It is 100% cotton and safe to chew, as well as gentle on their skin. When the fabric is dirty, place it in the washing machine.
- You can purchase the Flying Friends Toy bar for the bouncer. The rotating toys will captivate your baby’s attention.
- It looks beautiful. In your living room, it won’t seem like another baby item. It looks like a piece of furniture that belongs.
- For the price, the bouncer doesn’t vibrate or do anything on its own.
- It makes no sounds, and the toys have to be purchased separately.
- The weight capacity is small, even though it is recommended for two-year-olds. It only goes up to 29 pounds.
This pretty looking bouncer from Sassy has all the features that you would want to see in a bouncer.
- The bouncer comes with a wonderfully cuddly seat with a newborn headrest.
- It has three developmental age appropriate hanging toys to keep your baby entertained, while the safety features include a safety harness and a sturdy frame.
- The best part about this bouncer is its wing-shaped seat which provides that extra cuddle to the baby during the early days.
- The other interesting feature is the two-phase adjustment in the seat for the growing baby.
- Three vibration settings and 10 soothing lullabies with adjustable volumes make this bouncer a real winner.
- The toy bar can be removed and added at any time which makes it easy to put in and remove the baby. The toys are removable which makes them not only good for the bouncer but also to play around otherwise.
- The bouncer weighs only 5.7 pounds, which means that it is easy to carry and can be easily stored.
- The easy to remove seat makes it great for removing and washing and can even be gently tumble dried.
- With a maximum weight recommendation of 25 pounds, this bouncer ensures that your baby can use it to the fullest.
- The power source for the bouncing is rechargeable batteries which mean that all it requires is recharging the battery at regular intervals.
- Very comfortably padded seat
- Seat can be adjusted according to the age of the baby
- The toys are removable and can be washed
- 10 lullabies with volume adjustment features
- Three bouncing speeds
- Washable seatCons
- Cannot be transported around
- Cannot be folded and stored
This Fischer Price product comes with excellent features, which are great for babies.
- The super comfortably snug seat for the baby with a newborn insert and headrest is definitely very soothing for the baby. The body support inserts are a great addition for newborns and can be removed as the baby grows older.
- I fell in love with the cute bunny shaped ears on the head snuggler. Such a cute feature to add!
- The bouncer is very sturdy with grips at the base, ensuring that the baby does not topple over with movement. It has been certified by the Juvenile Products Manufacturers’ Association, which means that safety is a paramount feature in this bouncer.
- The bouncer weighs 7.8 pounds but is portable, which means it can be carried around if needed.
- For the baby’s entertainment, there is soothing music as well as toy arm with soft birds, which make the bouncer a fun place for the baby.
- Adjustable vibrating motions as well as volume variations for the music, make the bouncer a winner.
- Easy to remove seats which are machine washable are a great additional feature. The pad and the infant support can be machine washed and tumble dried.
- The adjustable seat harness ensures that the baby’s position can be adjusted as the baby grows.
- Very comfortable seating along with head and side support for new born babies
- Sturdy base and certified by JPMA
- Washable seat
- Easily portable
- Good safety features
- Heavier than other baby bouncers
- Works on rechargeable batteries or normal batteries, but they are not included as a part of the bouncer and need to be bought separately
What is The Difference between Baby Swings, Bouncers, and Jumpers?
Baby jumpers, bouncers, and swings are all very popular items for new moms. Despite the different names, each has a different purpose. The main difference between all three items is the age at which your baby should be playing in them.
- Baby Swing
- Baby Bouncer
- Baby Jumper
A baby swing is best for newborn babies up to about three or four months. This is just a cotton or other soft fabric swing that you can lay your baby in and swing them back and forth.
A baby bouncer is also for newborn and young babies who don’t yet have the neck strength to hold their heads up. Baby bouncers are basically like little chairs that you can lay your baby in and slowly bounce up and down. Once baby learns how to roll over, these bouncers should be put away.
A jumper is for a slightly older baby. I started my babies out in their jumpers shortly after 4 months old but I had big babies. If your baby is a bit smaller, 5 to 6 months might be more realistic. The most important thing is that your baby should be able to hold his or her head up on their own, then they are ready for a jumper.
In short, the difference between a jumper, bouncer and a swing is as follows:
- Swings: They swing back and forth without the baby needing to move and can be battery operated
- Bouncers: Bounce depending on the baby’s movements and can also be battery operated.
- Jumpers: Move the baby up and down with the help of the baby’s legs jumping up and down.
Baby Bouncer Safety
One of the biggest requirements before you buy your baby bouncer is to check it for safety features.
Every year, many babies get injured in the bouncers, which means when you buy your bouncer you need to look for all its safety features.
- Always check the weight and height limit on the bouncer. Often our babies outgrow the designed weight and height and we continue to keep them in the bouncer which can be dangerous.
- Also never use the bouncer as a car seat.
- Always check that the base of the bouncer is wider than the seat itself, as this provides a lot of stability to the bouncer making it less likely to topple over.
- A five point harness is a good feature to check for since it ensures that the baby is always safe in the bouncer. As soon as your baby can start standing up without any help, it just makes sense to stop using the bouncer. This is because the chances of the baby toppling over is very high.
- Never use your bouncer as a baby carrier. Bouncers are designed to be on the floor and not to be carried around.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics recommend that babies should not be kept for excessive time on the bouncers as this may cause developmental issues. Most experts believe that 30 minutes is a good time frame to keep your baby in the bouncer.
Finding the best baby bouncer doesn’t have to be complicated. These are five of the best-rated choices. All of them have some similar features, such as the removable and washable fabric; that is a must have for every parent! Do you want a brightly colored bouncer or something that will blend in with your stylish living room? Find a bouncer that fits your needs and your baby will thank you!
I hope that these choices help you. Do you have a favorite baby bouncer? Let us know in the comments!